Apr 8, 2011

Sloppy Chef - No Mystery!


I HAVE to be the sloppiest chef around!  This Friday is Ange's school is having a talent show with a cake decorating contest.  Ange wants to enter the contest and I thought I would make some cake pops in the shape of   paws (they are the panther cubs).  Don't worry Bakerella, no fear of me stepping on your apron strings any time soon!  After checking out her website, books and blogs, those darn pops looked so easy.  Mine turned out to be cake flops or even cake poops!!  
I am 'famous' for improvising recipes so why should this be any different?  Here's a list of my mistakes in order of disasters:
1.  Use a box cake mix -  me? Oh no!  Made it from scratch using the recipe on the cocoa container with boiling water
2.  Put the mix in two 8" round pans - I had just finished using an 8 and a 6 for Ange's cake so why bother running downstairs to get the other 8" pan!!   which leads to ...
3.  The mix in the smaller pan overflowed in the oven, burned to a crisp (in my fresh cleaned oven) and filled the house with a wonderful smell
4.  I used to much frosting and the combo resembled frosting with a little caked added instead of the other way around ... I continued with the recipe as if it was going to turn out so ...
I used mini marshmallows for the paws, tried to dip it in the chocolate and wahlah:  cake poop on a stick!


BUMMER!!!  Plan B:  cupcakes.


Top Left:  The cake crumbles, they looked okay
Top Right:  after mixing the frosting .. too mushy but continued
Bottom Left:  Okay, after I threw dirty dishes in the sink, I did a double take and a saw a face on the rack, see it?  I'm thinking ebay ...
Bottom Right:  The finished cake flop - rejected!!

Okay, the cupcakes, they'll do ....

The top layer of Ange's cake.  I'm so proud!  She did the fondant cut outs all herself ... I got the premade stuff at Michaels and used the spray color ... I did cut out the HES with the Cricut ... the best thing I did all day!
  

No comments: