May 21, 2011

10 Years Cancer Free!

Here's my story in a nutshell ... married too young, got out of it as quickly as I got into it but had two wonderful children to show for it.  Met a great man that accepted me and my kids ... thought it was my happily ever after!  It took us five years to get pregnant.  Baby Melissa was born with some heart issues but nothing that couldn't be fixed.  Speeding up the story, the surgery didn't go as planned and she didn't make it.  Having two middle schoolers at the time kept the clock rolling and we all got thru it.   It wasn't a feeling of peace but more of a waiting for the other shoe to drop kinda feeling.  Two litigations later, I had science on my side and Angela came along.  Definitely 100% healthy with the personality of an angel.  Finally, we could breathe?  Not so much.  The results from my post-partum check up came back sketchy and after another few tests, I was diagnosed with Cervical cancer!  There was the shoe we were waiting for.  I was planning her first birthday, my teen's summer plans and my chemo and radiation schedule all at the same time!  We celebrate today because it was the weekend of the Preakness that I had my hysterectomy at the age of 35.  The hospital was near the racetrack so parking was not fun for hubby.  Without the help of friends and family during that time I don't know how we would have made but we did and now we are happily looking forward to tomorrow!   During the make-it-break-it times in your life, your true friends are what matter most.  I definitely have a partner for life and kids I can count on!


Ange's 10th birthday last year.  Kelly, 23 and Cory, 21.


5 comments:

Sandy O said...

What a wonderfully happy ending. Thank youf or sharing your story.

jessica said...

Congrats on 10 years!! Thanks for sharing your moving story and happy birthday to your daughter

Shana said...

thanks for sharing, and including us in your celebration.

Melissa said...

<3 you Karen!! So glad you have been blessed with great health and are around for us to love you!

Kathy Nichols Saveleski said...

Karen, you are such a positive person and I am so happy for your family, friends, and all of us that you have been cancer free for so long!!!